Police mistakes Nintendo WII controller for a gun, kills teenager

A teenager has been shot dead by a policewoman who thought his Nintendo Wii controller was a gun.

Officers visited 17-year-old Christopher Roupe’s home to serve a warrant on his father over a probation violation.

But when the teenager opened the door to let them in, an officer shot him in the chest at point blank range.
Police claimed he was holding a gun, while witnesses and the family said it was a Wii controller.

The family’s solicitor, Cole Law, said the youngster was about to watch a movie using his console.

Mr Cole went on: “The eyewitnesses on the scene clearly state that he had a Wii controller in his hand.

“He heard a knock at the door. He asked who it was, there was no response so he opened the door and upon opening the door he was immediately shot in the chest.

“It just doesn’t add up.”

Referring to the teenager having a gun in his hand, Mr Cole added: “We don’t know where that statement came from.”

Police have refused to confirm if any weapon was found at the scene following the shooting in Euharlee, Georgia – about 50 miles north west of Atlanta.

Neighbour Ken Yates told how he saw the officer immediately after Christopher was killed and described her as being visibly distraught.

He said: “This is tragic. She came out of this house. She put her head in her hands and she was sobbing.

“Supposedly, he opened the door with a BB gun and in my opinion I think he was playing a game with his neighbourhood buddies.”

Tia Howard, another neighbour, also arrived at the house immediately after the shooting and said: “There was a Wii remote in his hand and [the officer] shot him.”

Officials refused to disclose if a weapon was found on the scene after the shooting last Friday.

The case has been turned over the Georgia Bureau of Investigation.

Christopher was a student at Woodland High School in nearby Cartersville and was an active member of the school’s Reserve Officers’ Training Corps program.

His family and friends described him as a “nice young man” who always looked out for his friends.

Friend William Corson said: “He was a good kid. He always hung out with me and he took up for me.”

The officer who fired the fatal shot has been placed on leave as the investigation into the shooting continues.

Once complete, the findings will be handed over to the office of District Attorney Rosemary Greene, who will decide what action should be taken.

Police directed all calls to the Bureau of Investigation, which failed to respond.
Christopher’s funeral is planned for tomorrow.

No comments

Powered by Blogger.